Monday, December 28, 2015

This Is True

Hey everybody! Hope ya'll had a Merry Christmas! I know I did!
     So much has happened in the last week! I got to skype my family, I've been transferred to the area of Gumi, and I'll be serving with my first Korean companion! What incredible blessings and sacred experiences I've had in the last week. So grateful for my family, and for the opportunity to serve in a new area, despite the many tears shed as I left my investigators and members of my last ward.
      I got to experience one last miracle in Jinhae right before I left that is one of the most sacred experiences I've had so far in Korea. We were preparing for English class on Saturday when a young man walked into the room. I greeted him, but he acted as though he didn't know what I was saying. He didn't speak Korean! This young man has one of those stories that makes you grateful for what you've been given. The young man fled North Korea as a young man and resided in China, before fleeing to Japan after that. The young man only knows how to speak Chinese, Japanese, and English. He told me of his life and the challenges that he's had. He hasn't seen his family for years, and is hoping to set his life in order. I asked the young man how he came to find our church. He looked at me and said, "I was walking down the street, and I just had a strong feeling that I needed to come inside." I was in total awe. How the spirit works in such incredible ways. I was able to teach this young man the first two lessons, including The Restoration, and The Plan of Salvation. He loved it, and asked sooo many questions concerning the doctrine. I felt such a strong spirit in the meeting that words can't describe it. At the end of the lesson he looked at me with heartfelt sincerity and asked, "Elder Roper, is this true?" I looked at him with a surety in my heart and said, "Yeah... this is true."
      I have such a strong love for this young man that I had just met. I walked out of that class knowing I'd probably never see him again. But what an opportunity it is to be a missionary. The love I have for these people can't be described. As tears welled in my eyes as I said goodbye to the Jinhae members, and my investigators, I couldn't help but think how grateful I am. How I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than in Korea, helping these people. What an opportunity I have to teach and testify. I will never forget the moment when my investigator who wouldn't be baptized from fear reached out, touched my face, and simply said, "Elder Roper, I will always be grateful for you." 
      I love this gospel so much. How grateful I am to be a missionary. I'm grateful this week for my family. They've been there for me through everything, and talking to them was the greatest gift I could have received. Words can't describe how much I love them. Family is the most important. I testify that Jesus is the Christ and that He lives. He knows us all personally and loves us more than we can comprehend. How grateful I am to be serving Him. 
      Thanks everybody for your constant love and support. Sorry this letter is short, we have very little time to email today. Know I love you all and how grateful I am for the support. Thanks so much talk to ya'll next week can't wait!

Elder Roper





No comments:

Post a Comment