Monday, January 25, 2016

Scars

Hey everybody! Another week gone already??
      A really good week over here! It got soooo cold this week. Not a "Utah cold" but a bitter "humid Korea cold" that we've been working through. We've been seeing some miracles all week long as we baptized one of our sister's investigators, and had another one of our investigators commit to baptism for this week! We're seeing so many miracles it's been such a blessing.
      Yesterday I was sitting in church, on the verge of falling asleep trying to listen to our teacher speak, when a man reached out and grabbed my hand. In Korea, it's not weird even if I don't like it (; He started pointing to all the scars that are on my hand. The scars that I had from baseball, football, and asked how they had happened. I explained them the best I could in broken Korean of how they happened. It's funny how I could  remember them all distinctly. I remember all the scars, the pain I felt in getting them. I remember looking at the rest of the scars I had. My knees from sliding in baseball, my hips from diving in the outfield, my sunken-in chest where my top rib is missing after my blood clot. I couldn't help but laugh at these scars and know that each one tells a distinct story. Just like my scars and the pain and story of how I came to get them, Christ remembers distinctly how He got His.
      I've studied the Atonement so distinctly during my mission, and I can't begin to comprehend what our Savior went through. Performing the Atonement where He sweat blood from every single pore. Being beaten, scourged, and then having nails pounded through His hands and feet. I feel a deep and sincere emotion when I think of it. As I partake of the sacrament, I can't help but picturing myself sitting at the Savior's feet, wetting His feet with my tears in gratitude. Having the opportunity to feel the prints in His hands, wrists, and feet. I can only imagine what that will be like.
      Christ made the decision to retain His scars. People wonder why Christ has His scars if we're suppose to be "perfect, ressurected beings" after we die. He keeps them to show everyone that He is Christ. He retains those scars in remembrance of us. We are literally engraved in His hands. When He looks at the scars that He has, He sees you personally. Like I can remember the pain I went through to get my scars, and exactly how they happened, He too, remembers exactly why it happened. Because of the love He has for us that we can't comprehend, He retains those scars to show us that He is the light of the world, the Son of God, and our Redeemer. That He overcame death so we wouldn't have to suffer even as He did.
      I testify of Jesus Christ. He is the living son of the living God. He loves us. He knows us personally. He answers our prayers and gives us comfort when we think we can't go any further. He is the perfect example. Only through Him can we return to the Father. He suffered for us, bled for us, and died for us. I've never been more sure of that in my life. I love my Savior with a deep devotion. I adore Him, and am so grateful that I get to serve Him every single day. I know He lives.
      Thanks everybody for the love and support! I miss you guys terribly and am so thankful for all that you guys do for me. I can never thank you enough. Love ya'll talk to ya next week!

Elder Roper







No comments:

Post a Comment