Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A True Disciple of Christ

Hey there everybody!
     Been just an incredible week in the Korea Busan Mission. This week I was sooo grateful to get to experience a baptism. Our investigator was able to receive baptism. Yesterday I woke up and went into my room to get changed and looked at the ties lined along the wall. One tie stood out. I went and grabbed the very tie that I baptized my younger sister in a few years earlier. At the time, I couldn't tie my own tie (imagine that right?? haha) and I pictured my dad carefully tying the knot for me on that special day. A reminder that like my family, I was partaking in the step to bring this family closer to eternity.
     We went to the baptism and words can't describe what you feel as a missionary to watch your investigator get baptized. The feelings are truly indescribable. As our investigator bore testimony following his baptism, he broke into tears and the spirit all touched our hearts. He told us how he was baptized for his family, knowing it would make him the father and husband that he needed to be to his wife, and his two young sons. Words can't describe what I felt yesterday as the baptism took place. What a miracle, and what a blessing it is to be apart of this eternal work for the Korean people. I truly love this work.
     Yesterday at church, I had an experience that I've been thinking about a lot. We have this man in church who is quite old, and really struggles to move. He can barely walk. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to spend a little time with this wonderful disciple of Jesus Christ. In Priesthood meeting, I watched as he was trying to take notes, his arms and legs shaking uncontrollably. I watched as he tried his very best to listen, and learn by the spirit. Following the meeting, he showed me his notes, and in particular, he showed me that he was trying to learn english. There on the page, I looked at simple english phrases such as "the dog ran", and "I went home", obviously written by someone other than him. To his best ability, he tried to copy the written english. It was not legible to me, but he was so proud of his efforts, and I told him it looked great. 
     After church, and after the baptism, a ward member came up to me and asked if I could do a favor for him. He pointed in the direction of the same man, and asked if I would be willing to take him to his car. At first, I didn't understand, but then I realized. He wanted me to place him on my back and carry him down a flight of stairs and out to his car, due to the fact that this man could not move very well. Understanding what was being asked, I got down and the man got onto my back, and I carried the man as if he was a small rag doll on my back down the stairs and placed him into his car. I couldn't help but want to weep for this man. A true disciple of Christ, who is giving everything that he has to follow His Savior. A true inspiration to me. 
     In this life, we have basic things to do like write "the dog ran" and "I went home." Despite the fact that it's clear and obvious before us, in our attempts to follow it, we sometimes write things that aren't legible. We try to follow Christ's perfect example, and we fall, and we stumble. Despite our best efforts, we can't seem to do it. But like this old man in my ward, I am reminded that Christ is our foundation and carries us wherever we need to go. He's there to magnify us and lift us to greater heights. Despite our "illegible" actions, He knows our hearts, our intents, and will be there for us when we can go no further. 
     I testify that Christ is the light and life of the world. He is our Savior, and Redeemer. And despite our earthly trials and challenges, one day we will see Him face to face in perfection because of the gift of the resurrection. Every trial, whether it be mental, physical, or emotional, will be repaid ten-fold in the life to come. I know He lives, and loves us more than we will every comprehend. I am so grateful for the wonderful plan that we're apart of. 
     I love you all and am always so grateful. I have the best support and can't thank you enough. It truly means the world. Thanks for everything and I can't wake for next week! Talk to ya'll soon!

Elder Roper













No comments:

Post a Comment