Monday, August 22, 2016

Lessons Learned

Hellloo everybody!
     What a crazy week over here in South Korea. It's been a week of lessons. I've learned a lot this week from the examples of other people around me that I'd like to share today. It's a witness that this is God's work, that the gospel is worth sacrificing for, and that this gospel is the only true gospel on the earth.
     First experience was one that all missionaries dream and hope for while serving. We have been meeting with an investigator for two weeks. At first, he said that he believed in God, but did not believe in Jesus Christ. It was a really unique situation to say the least. We began meeting and he began to accept everything very well. This past week we gave him Alma 5 to read as a commitment. He kept his commitment, and we asked him the next day if he had read the chapter. He said, "Yeah I read it.... so when can I get baptized??" Me and my companion were shocked. It was insane! We've never really had anything like that happen before. Yesterday, we had the opportunity to attend a baptism with him and he's preparing for September 11th to get baptized. Although I may transfer, it was a pure miracle that God is among His work, and that it is His work, and is in His hands. What a true miracle. 
     Next lesson learned. We have a young man from the Philippines named Brian. He's a man that's got so much faith. He was baptized this last year and called us up this week and asked if he could come tracting with us. We told him it would be for probably three hours in weather that was, of course, blazing hot. He still wanted to come. In his words, "If I wear a white shirt and tie, can I come with you??" It was the greatest example of faith. During this time of tracting, we were talking to Brian a lot and he had been struggling with church attendance a little bit. He had attended for the last two weeks and we finally asked him what the difference was for him. He simply said, "I realized that I needed church. From now on, I will put church above everything else on Sunday." I loved that. A man who is in a foreign land has decided to sacrifice everything so he can feel the spirit and partake of the sacrament. Yesterday, he even rolled his good friend out of bed and said that they were going to church whether he liked it or not. What a blessing and what an example of sacrifice to those things that are right and true. 
     Lastly, I want to share this experience. This week we met a Korean who attended Texas A&M. He spoke fluent english and asked if we were "BYU folk." We told him yes, and he asked if he could talk with us. We talked for awhile and got into a discussion about the gospel finally. He was Catholic and attended church somewhat regularly. We pulled out the Book of Mormon and started teaching. He loved it, it all made sense, and he enjoyed it. You could tell the spirit was present with him. He finally asked us this question. "Do you guys respect other religions?" We looked at him and said, "Yeah, absolutely. We respect everybody's beliefs." Then he turned and said, "Oh good, so you don't believe that you're the only true church then right??" At that point the lesson changed... We turned and said, "Well, actually... we believe that we are the only true church on the earth. We believe that our church is the only true church of God." There was no delay and no doubt. We were bold, and we were straightforward. He didn't like that a whole ton. He respected it, but he didn't like hearing it a whole ton. It was a really neat experience. 
     To sum up my week, I know that this is God's work. There is no success found in an individual missionary or in their companion. It's all in God's timing, and it's in His way. Although blessings are based on obedience, that doesn't mean immediate success. I learned that through obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ, blessings will always be obtained. Maybe not soon, but they will. Maybe in a miracle, a little help, or a miracle baptism. No matter what, they always come. I also learned that sacrifice opens and unlock the gates of heaven. When we sacrifice for what's right, God will always provide. As He provided Brian a way, so He will guide our ways and help us. When a door closes, another opens to something greater and higher. I've seen that through so many in my mission. 
    Lastly, I want to be bold and state as me and my companion stated to the young college student. I testify with all that I possess that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. This gospel is true. There is no doubts, no concerns, and no worries. I know that is true through the power of the Holy Ghost. I know that through this gospel, we can experience the true and eternal blessings that God has to offer. And the best part is, we are a part of it! May we never falter, or fail. May we stand up for the only true church, and may we always live to it in word and deed, even when it's hard. I love this gospel. I testify of the reality of Christ and His love. So grateful for little lessons that teach me so much.
     I love you all and miss you so much. So grateful for the support, love and help. It truly means the world. I can't wait until next week! Love ya'll!


Elder Roper




No comments:

Post a Comment