Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Earthquakes

Hey everybody!
     First things first, thank you for all the birthday emails this week! So grateful for all of the wonderful support. I have such wonderful support and I'm so grateful. I love you all so dearly.  I'll get to back to you all, hopefully sooner than later! Thanks again it truly means the world!  I guess in Korea, I'm now 21...but I like the idea of being 20 a little more in America myself (; 
     This week was insane to say the least. It started off with two earthquakes! We were sitting in our church building when the entire building started to shake beneath us. We were all in shock and just stood there looking dumb as it passed on by. We were all shocked, and then about thirty minutes later, an even larger earthquake came and shook the church some more. It was big enough that it got us out of our seats and into a safer place. From what I heard, they were measured at 5.1 and 5.8, the largest ever in the history of Korea. Pretty crazy to say the least. 
     This week I've been thinking a lot about "personal earthquakes" that take place in our lives. As a missionary, I get to see people who struggle, who are heavy-hearted, and those who hurt. There are days too, when like them, my heart is heavy, especially this week with the passing of my great-grandma. For whatever reasons, there are times when we feel abandoned. This week I've had a lot on my mind, dealing with some trials, and I found myself praying sincerely to God for help. I found my investigators searching desperately for answers they couldn't seem to find. It seemed like this week, all in all, was a week of searching and relying on God the Father, and trusting in His plan. I know though, that at the end of it all, me and my investigators will all realize that Christ has been there right beside us the entire time. 
     This week I found a second of time, and I decided to put some of the my feelings into words and wrote a simple poem that I'd like to share. 

One night amidst pure trial and thought,
I lay awake in bed.
My heart filled with questions and doubts,
My life in need of mend.
My heart is heavy, my soul so weery,
I have no direction to take.
In exhaustion and pure triumph,
I close my eyes to sleep.
I begin to drift into a dream,
Bright light soon fills my eyes.
I don't know exactly where I am,
But it's that of paradise.

Love fills my heart, hope lights my mind,
I find myself at peace.
Away from trials and temptations,
That have been besetting me.
When on the horizon, a figure appears,
And I recognize my Savior.
Step by step, I start running to Him,
A journey that's of forever.

Out of breath, and tired, I reach the Son of God.
I fall at His feet and weeping say,
"Help me Lord, I'm lost."
He looks down upon me, and with pure love in His eyes,
Lifts me up with printed hands and says,
"I am Jesus Christ."

"I am your Savior, your Redeemer, and your closest friend,
It was in Gethsemane for you my son,
That my blood was freely shed.
I know the times are hard for you,
I know the weight you bear.
I see your tears, I hear your cries,
For I am always near.
My Son, I love you dearly,
I gave my life for you.
I know you will get through this,
For that's the path I have for you.
Do not worry, do not despair,
My peace I leave with you.
Though the trials may seem endless,
Together we will make it through."

I look up in His loving eyes,
My fear filled with peace,
Standing with my Savior, my Lord, my God, my King.
My doubts are gone, my fears all flee,
And a bright light fills my eyes.
A new morning has arisen, and it's that of paradise. 

     I testify of Christ and His plan. I testify that He is always with us no matter the circumstance. He is our Savior, our Redeemer, and the Light of the World. I am so grateful to be serving with Him at this time in my life. I testify that He lives. I know it, and I pray that the whole world may know it so they can partake of everything that He offers. "Oh sweet the joy this sentence gives... I know that my Redeemer lives."


Elder Roper

















No comments:

Post a Comment