Thursday, July 16, 2015

We Have Eternity

Hello Everyone!
         Well another great week down! We just finished our third week here and we're now the second oldest district because one left just this week. Can't believe how quickly the time is passing here. I'm loving every second and look forward to every single day.
         This language is one that just loves to cause me grief it seems. This week I made another "mistake" with our investigator....The same one that didn't want the dragon spirit haha... Our teacher told us that we needed to ask our investigator if they would receive baptism. I was thinking she was completely crazy. We can barely communicate and they were going to be baptized??? Well yeah... she said no to our baptism to no surprise. We thanked her for her time and I asked my companion to offer the closing prayer. Well I thought I did at least. My companions and the investigator just busted out laughing at me and I had no idea why. I had actually asked my companion if he would then be offered to be baptized in perfect Korean. I guess I just thought my investigator needed an example, and if my companion got baptized, maybe she'd want to as well (; The language is coming along really great though. All my prayers are in Korean, we can teach lessons so much better too. It's coming better every day.  I’ve also been called as District Leader so I’m excited for this amazing opportunity to serve.
         "And it came to pass when they arrived in the borders of the land of the Lamanites, that they separated themselves and departed one from another, trusting in the Lord that they should meet again..." (Alma 17:13)
         This week has been one of emotion and questions at certain points. My mom told me this week that little Kycie Terry passed away this week after having battled complications of diabetes. She told me of the family's unwavering faith, and how the path little Kycie set will help the lives of others who face the same struggle. I read this with a full heart, knowing her family is showing the miraculous power of true faith. In the LDS movie “Charly”, there's a quote that states, "When it matters most, your faith won't abandon you." We all face trials, temptations, and daily struggle. However, it's a matter of how we react. Do we live by faith or do we live by something else? Kycie's family bares witness of turning outward to others instead of thinking of themselves. They know that Kycie has carved a path for those of similar struggles. Like the Savior, little Kycie had to walk a very difficult path so others could feel the benefit. Right now though, I know that little Kycie now stands as a perfect being who's walking hand in hand with her loving Heavenly Father. As the movie “Charly” states, "Why does it matter? We have eternity." I know that to be true. As we all recognize true faith in Jesus Christ, we'll realize that this life is a stepping stone to only greater things. As hard and difficult as it may be, we need to realize that God's plan is greater than ours, and He only does what's truly best for His children. I love my Savior and I know he sees me through anything I'll ever face. I'm so grateful knowing that He took that lonely path so we don't have to. I can say I'm truly coming to know of the Savior. Not about Him, but of Him.
         I love this place. I truly experience the pure joy that the gospel has to offer here. Only through the gospel can we experience joy. Happiness is something everyone can have, but joy is only connected with the Savior. I'm so grateful to be out here and serving those who I can. I'm loving each and every day, strengthening my testimony and becoming my first convert. Thanks for the constant support, letters, emails, and everything else. I truly appreciate everything. Love all you guys. Can't wait to talk to you all next week!

Love, Elder Roper



No comments:

Post a Comment