Monday, March 21, 2016

Black, White and Grey

Hey Everybody!!!
      What a crazy week this week! Saw so many miracles and survived transfers... well sorta. I don't have a companion yet because I've been called as a trainer! Ahhh! So excited! I'll be getting my companion here in a few days. I'll be staying in the same area for at least three more months. This week we also got to hear from a General Authority in Stake Conference and it was so incredible. No less, we've picked up some incredible investigators that have some great potential. Such an incredible week here in Korea. There's so much going on right now that I have to look forward to. 
      When I was a little boy, on Christmas Eve, in hopes of Santa coming and delivering gifts, I would get down on my knees and pray forgiveness for being a "bad boy." I didn't want to get coal so I knew if I would get down on my knees and pray, I could expect presents under the tree the next morning. Well, I never got coal, and the presents were always there. At times, I knew that prayer saved me from getting a lump of coal. However, looking back now, I see a lesson that stands out so clear to me. 
      I understand the concept of free agency out here more than I ever have before. As a little boy, I felt like I was able to skirt by on little decisions, and not choose what was right, knowing I could say that "Christmas Eve" prayer to save me. As I've been serving here lately, I've understood that Satan is really good at creating the color grey. He is good at making things bland and boring. God gives us commandments that are black and white, and simple to follow. However, when we start mixing black and white, we get that dull grey that can truly burden our lives. If we aren't completely happy, we might be mixing a little too much black and white.
      Like when I was a little boy, I felt I could mix black and white. I've realized out here that we must keep it all separate. We must use our agency to follow Christ and His teachings. Everything that's set up for us is all based on if we follow. I promise that if we don't mix our colors, and constantly exercise our faith, we won't be saying last minute "Christmas Eve prayers" in desperate times when we realize we haven't quite reached our potential. I know that keeping the commandments brings greater joy that we can imagine.
      I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the strength that it gives us. I love this work and get so much joy from it. Even though it's hard, there's no greater thing than serving the Savior. It truly brings all joy. 
      I love you all and appreciate your support. You're all family to me and I'm so grateful for all of you. Love you guys can't wait to write again!


Elder Roper






No comments:

Post a Comment