Monday, May 9, 2016

Opportunity

Hey everybody!
     Hope ya'll are having a wonderful Mother's Day. How grateful I am for the women in my life and the influence that they have on me. I would not be where I am without the influence of righteous women to guide and direct me in every step I've taken. So grateful for all you women that are in our lives.
      This week the missionary work has been up and down. We've been teaching, testifying, and working extremely hard. We have a couple investigators who we are working with but aren't progressing. I'd like to share with you a part from one of our meetings with this week.
      We've been meeting with this man who had an older brother, who attended the church in Seoul before he passed away. Tracting one day, we started talking with him and he really opened up to us. This week we met with him and found a major concern that has been blocking his progress. He talked of his family, and how they're all Buddhist, and how if he attends the church, he wants to do it with his family. He talked about how he and his wife have been fighting over the religious differences due to the fact that he wants to start attending our church. He's torn between the choice of choosing his family, or religion. In sum, he said that he needed time. However, he said something that has stuck with me since the meeting. He told us, "I'm a Mormon, and this is my church. You are my brothers, but I just need some time."
      I've been thinking a lot about this thing he said. Despite his very difficult circumstances and the decisions he's torn between, he wants to be a member. It got me thinking of how sometimes in my life I've been a Mormon in heart but not in action. Where I knew everything to be true, but I wasn't willing to follow the knowledge that I knew to be right. We may not have to choose religion over family like our investigator, but in other circumstances, we can prove to be faithful to our religion not only in heart, but in action. In Mosiah, we read of putting off the natural man through the Atonement. We progress to acting on our knowledge, making small, every day decisions to choose God over that of the adversary. To choose faith before doubts, and that of eternal worth instead of that of temporary worth. Through the small and simple things we truly become as God intends us to be. I'm grateful for the people I meet, and the small lessons that I get to learn from them. We're all people with real life problems, but through this gospel, we can truly overcome everything that holds us back.
      I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the faith and outlook that it gives me. It opens all gates if we will simply follow it, no matter how hard it may be. It opens up the world to us. Another name for this gospel is opportunity. I love my Savior, and know He lives. He knows us and loves us. I feel that love every single day, and I'm so grateful to be doing His work in these latter days.
      Today when I had the opportunity to skype I was again filled with the testimony of eternal families. How grateful I am for the eternalness of this gospel. I know that this life is a stepping stone to that of eternity. I love my family. Although I miss them more than words can describe, I know they are always behind me. And on this Mother's Day I want to tell my mom how much I love her, and how much I appreciate her. She is the light of my world, and I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with my mom. Like Christ, I truly "Behold my mother" in every thing. For without her, I truly would be nothing.
      Thanks for the support I love you all so dearly and am so grateful for the support that I get out here. I am so grateful for the help, love, support, and prayers. It truly means the world to me. Talk to ya'll next week!

Elder Roper

No comments:

Post a Comment