Monday, February 15, 2016

Curveballs

     Hey everybody! The first week of the transfer is gone so crazy already! Hope everyone had a Happy Valentines Day! Sending my love from well.... half a world away (;
      This week we were able to pick up some new investigators. Even picked up a man from Uzbekistan! So crazy how it all works out. We were seeing these awesome little miracles as we keep working. This week was definitely up and down with everything! It seemed like nothing worked, but everything worked at the same time. We're hoping to have some solid investigators by the end of the week. We have one with a baptismal date on the 27th, but needs parent permission. Pray that we can get it (;
      All throughout my years of playing baseball, my Grandpa DeLoy would scout everything for me. He would watch my games, my opponents, and everything else just so he could help me to how to approach the situation. One piece of advice I felt like I always heard from my Grandpa DeLoy was, "This kid throws a lot of curveballs. Take it to right field, don't try to pull it." It seemed like I was always seeing them curveballs thrown my way, and I had to learn to go with the pitch. To fight em off, and take the pitch where it was thrown. It was when I tried to pull the pitch, it resulted in an out.
      This week it seems like nothing went our way. It seems like it never does. It was as if I was seeing nothing but curveballs this week. One investigator would cancel, another would call. An investigator would drop us, and we'd find another. But we simply had to "take the ball the other way" and keep doing what we could.
      It seems like in our lives we're always getting little bumps in the road, or little obstacles that keep us from progressing, from being happy, from following Jesus Christ. We seem to think we can "force" our ways out of the situation by working a little harder, or doing this, or that. In missionary work, I've learned that all we can do is simply react to what's thrown at us. We can learn to laugh, and instead of getting down we can smile and keep going. We can look at an eternal perspective of things and know that Heavenly Father is there for us at each and every turn we make. We can simply say to ourselves, "Come what may and love it." As we simply in the words of my Grandpa DeLoy, "Take the pitch the other way," we can truly learn to realize the big picture. God loves us, and He hears and answers our prayers. He does everything for our good, and we can trust Him knowing that all works together for our good.
      I know Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. He truly hears every single word and answers them according to our faith in Him. As we turn to Him we'll always be able to come off a little stronger than before. I love my Heavenly Father, and His son, Jesus Christ. They know us personally. I've felt that love that they so fully offer every single one of us.
      Thanks everyone for the love and support as always. Soooo grateful. Hope ya'll had a good holiday. Can't wait to write again. Talk to ya'll soon!

Elder Roper



No comments:

Post a Comment